Travelling, whether it’s on a long flight, a road trip, or exploring new destinations, can take a toll on the body. Incorporating daily stretches, especially during holidays and travels, can be a game-changer in maintaining your physical well-being and keeping discomfort at bay. The best part? You can do these stretches practically anywhere, ensuring your body stays limber and pain-free.
These quick and straightforward stretches are designed to counteract the strains of a sedentary or active holiday, helping to alleviate tension and discomfort:
- Slowly tilt your head to one side, holding the stretch for 30 seconds.
- Repeat on the other side. Do this a few times to help relieve tension and stretch your neck muscles (great during and after travel)
Seated Cat-Cow Stretch
- Sit on a chair (or the edge of your bed) with both feet flat on the ground with your hands on your knees.
- Inhale and arch your back, lifting your chest and looking upwards (cow pose)
- Exhale and round your back, tucking your chin to your chest (cat pose)
- Continue flowing between these two positions for 30 seconds to a minute, focusing on the movement of your spine
- Stand facing a wall and step one foot back and press your heel down into the ground
- Keep your back leg straight and bend your front knee slightly. You should feel a stretch in your calf muscle – hold it for 30 seconds and then switch legs.
- Repeat a few times to relieve tension in the calves. Great after lots of walking or exercise.
Remember, listen to your body and do not push yourself into positions that you find painful or uncomfortable. Regular stretching can help improve circulation and mobility and help reduce discomfort.
Incorporating daily stretches into your routine can make a world of difference- and shouldn’t be kept exclusively for holidays but adopted into your daily life at home too . Taking a few moments to stretch can alleviate stiffness, prevent discomfort, and keep your body feeling agile and refreshed. So, wherever you are, remember these stretches and embrace the benefits of daily flexibility, ensuring a more enjoyable and pain-free life.